Tuesday, October 31, 2017

Halloween Is Here Again


Halloween is not my favorite holiday, but I have good memories of reading Gus Was a Friendly Ghost when I was a kindergarten student.  For the longest time I tried to find a copy of this book, and eventually just broke down and bought myself a new copy from Amazon.  I have loved re-reading this book.  After all these years it still holds up as a solid Halloween story.





HarperCollins sent me a box of delightful Halloween reads that I've enjoyed sharing with a few kids. They are all cute and fun to read.


I Love You More Than the Smell of Swamp Gas by Kevan Atteberry - a rhyming story about a mother who loves her child more than any of the crazy, funny creatures it encounters.  

Even Monsters Need to Sleep written by Lisa Wheeler, illustrated by Chris Van Dusen - a cute, rhyming story perfect for bedtime.  A variety of characters all have a need for sleep.

Grimelda and the Spooktacular Pet Show, written by Diana Murray, illustrated by Heather Ross -Grimelda is attempting to take first prize in the Spooktacular Pet Show. However, she has lost her spell book. This is a sequel to Grimelda the Very Messy Witch, a book I really enjoyed as well.  





Thanks to HarperCollins for providing these three beautiful picture books for my review.  Although I'm not a huge Halloween fan, I love these books that are all delightful stories to share with young readers.  I'm also a sucker for rhyming books, which is something all three of these have in common. I also appreciated the fact that these are Halloween stories that aren't scary. Little kids will love them and bigger kids, too.

 In case you are looking for some other Halloween books, check out two of my posts from previous years.

My 2017 post: It's Time For Some Halloween Books

My 2013 post: Halloween Books


No comments: