Monday, October 30, 2017

TLC Book Tour: Start Without Me

I'm not a big "road trip" kind of book reader.  Nor do I like books that take place in just a day. If I had known both of those things were part of Start Without Me, I might not have picked this book up.  And that would have been a shame. 






Marissa is a flight attendant. Money troubles, marriage struggles and a childhood that was rough are part of her story.  So is cheating on her husband with her ex-boyfriend.  

Adam is home for the Thanksgiving holiday. He hasn't seen his family in a few years and holds the distinction of being the screw-up son.  When he breaks the coffee pot on Thanksgiving morning, he leaves the house and doesn't return.

And then Adam and Marissa meet. The two begin their trip back for the Thanksgiving holiday, sharing a bit of their past with each other.  Each one has their faults....and they aren't necessarily very attractive people, but Feldman's characters are very human.

And for some reason I couldn't put this book down.  It was a little bit like watching a train wreck, in a good way.  I couldn't help but root for both Marissa and Adam, yet was skeptical either of them could get things together.

I haven't read anything by Feldman before, but I would definitely pick up another of his books.  Well written, interesting, unique characters, he constructed a novel with two things I don't normally enjoy at all, and I couldn't put it down.



Thanks to TLC Book Tours for providing a copy of this novel for my review.  All opinions expressed are, as always, my own.

For more information, visit the HarperCollins website.

2 comments:

Peppermint Ph.D. said...

Oh yes, a train wreck for sure...but what I liked about the train wreck is that what seemed like total disaster didn't stop these two...they just kept trucking along :) Enjoyed your review!

Heather J @ TLC Book Tours said...

Sometimes it is a blessing in disguise to not know too much about a book before you pick it up - like you, there are books I would have skipped if I knew what they were really about, and I would have missed out on some great reads!

Thanks for being a part of the tour.