Monday, January 31, 2022

Monday Mini-Reviews: Five Star Fiction...Again!

 I might have had a record breaking month of five star reads.  I absolutely loved The Magnificent Lives of Marjorie Post by Allison Pataki.





A few years ago I read Beauty in the Broken Places, Pataki's memoir of of her husband's health crisis.  I absolutely loved her writing, but hadn't read any of her other books - all historical fiction set in time periods I don't generally care much about.

This book, though....I love American history and Marjorie Post is someone I had never heard of.  The story begins with Marjorie's childhood as her father looks for help as his health diminishes.  He gets care from Dr. Kellogg (famous later for his breakfast cereal), but finds little help there.  Eventually CW Post does recover and begins manufacturing breakfast foods. The Post Company is born.  

Marjorie grows up being a part of her dad's growing empire.  Her hometown is Battle Creek, MI, but their newfound wealth allows them to have more than one home and to travel.  The one wrinkle in Marjorie's life is her parents' marital troubles.

I loved watching Marjorie's life unfold. Her marriages - all four of them- were fascinating.  The continued success of the company her father started was interesting as well. I  loved the name dropping that Pataki provided...Marjorie knew a lot of famous and important people.  I found myself totally sucked into her world.  

I have read many fictionalized biographies and do generally enjoy them.  There are a few, however, that stand out (Z the Life of Zelda Fitzgerald by Therese Ann Fowler and The Aviator's Wife by Melanie Benjamin remain two favorites).  The Magnificent Lives of Marjorie Post is one that I will be adding to the short list of favorites.

Pataki's novel is coming out on February 15, and I can't wait for others to read it.

No comments: