Monday, November 12, 2018

Monday Mini-Reviews

It's been a few weeks since I did a mini-review post and as I looked back over the books I've read the past few weeks, only a few really stand out.  (I might also be in a small reading rut because nothing has sounded appealing lately, either).

These three are titles that deserve a little attention:




When You Read This by Mary Adkins -this story is told in emails and texts which is such a fun way to read a book. Iris Massey has died at the young age of thirty-three, and somehow her former boss and sister strike up an email exchange.  Although this novel is a little bit heartbreaking, there's humor there as well, and maybe even a hint of romance.  

The Other Woman by Sandie Jones- Reese Witherspoon picked this one as her November book club selection, so there is plenty of buzz out there about this book. I love psychological thrillers, and this one is a quick read, but it is definitely not the best out there.  Emily is in love with Adam, who appears to be everything she's ever wanted in a husband. And yet, his mother is something that you only have nightmares about.  I figured this one out pretty early on, and am not even sure the ending is very believable.  However, I read it a few weeks ago, and I'm still thinking about it, so I need someone else to read it to talk it over with.

Adequate Yearly Progress by Roxanna Elden - I loved this book.  I don't find many fiction books centered around schools, and this one is perfect.  I loved Elden's over the top portrayal of the education system, which, sadly, isn't all that far from reality any more.  I loved the teachers that she chose as characters in this novel. The ending, shared as a test question, was a clever and fun way to wrap everything up.  I'm recommending this to all my teacher friends- and non-teacher friends, too, who might have their eyes opened a little when they read this book. I'm hoping Elden has something in the works already because I thoroughly enjoyed her novel.

This week doesn't look quite as hectic as last, so I'm hoping I find a bit more reading time and a few more novels to share by next Monday.

1 comment:

Kay said...

I always like when you share these mini-reviews. As to these particular books, I'm very partial to books told in emails or other unusual formats. So, I'd likely pick the first book out of the three. I'm more than a bit burned out of the psychological thrillers and am avoiding them right now. Reading some lovely Kristan Higgins romance books. Enjoying them thoroughly.