Monday, August 6, 2018

First Monday in August: Blast From the Past

I always like looking back at my reading and remembering some of the best books I read and enjoyed. Five of the best I read in August 2008 are featured below:




1. Guest of the Revolution by Kathryn Koob- this is Koob's account of her time as one of the hostages in Iran.  I found this extremely interesting because, although I was just in first grade during the hostage crisis, my uncle was one of the last people to talk to her before she was taken hostage, and left Iran quickly, coming home to stay with my grandparents until he could find a job.  Koob's nieces attended college with me, and she is from a small town not far from my hometown.

2.  Somewhere in Heaven: The Remarkable Love Story of Dana and Christopher Reeve by Christopher Andersen - who wasn't saddened by Christopher Reeve's death and then learning shortly afterwards that Dana Reeve had lung cancer?  This is a fast read, heartbreakingingly sad, providing a look at this famous couple and their love story.

3.  Oxygen by Carol Cassella - I loved this book - a suspenseful medical drama that revolves around anesthesiologist Marie Heaton, who is at the height of her career.  Cassella is a physician herself, who has written two more books after Oxygen.

4.  Lumbercamp Library by Natalie Kinsey-Warnock- this is a short, easy chapter book that I fell in love with.  Ruby's pa is a lumberjack, their family a big one.  Ruby loves books, but when her pa dies the family is left with nothing.  I've shared this book with several students and my own girls.  Even though it would work with younger readers, I've used it with upper elementary kids who like the fact that it's such a fast read, yet has such a great message.

5.  Home of the Brave by Katherine Applegate - Kek moves from Africa to Minnesota as a refugee. This novel in verse explores what life is like for Kek whose world has changed dramatically.  I really loved this book, but think the cover design of the hardcover version didn't attract most of my students. The paperback cover design is much better, in my opinion.

Have you read any of these books?  What were you reading back in August of 2008?  


1 comment:

Kay said...

I have not read any of these books, but they all look quite interesting. I wonder how many people remember the Iran hostages. And Christopher Reeve - Superman to me.