Monday, June 11, 2018

The First Monday in June on the Second Monday in June: Blast From the Past

Last month I missed writing about the books I read a decade ago simply because I put the notebook where I kept track of my reading in a safe place. Obviously I have no idea where that is.  That notebook got filled up at the end of May 2008, so my next notebook is still in a place I can locate.  

It's always fun to look back at what I was enjoying ten years ago. Here are five of my highlights from May 2008:





1. Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout - this might be the first book I read by Strout. I can't remember the plot, but I do recall that this writer is able to capture the details of daily life, that the novel has well developed characters, not a flashy, fast plot.

2.  Free Baseball by Sue Corbett - this is an Iowa Children's Choice book - one of the few that I actually read when I brought it home from my school library over the summer.  Felix's dad was a famous baseball player in Cuba, and sent Felix to the United States to grow up in a free country. When Felix hears there are Cuban baseball players coming to town he plans to meet them in an effort to meet his father.

3.  Found by Margaret Peterson Haddix- - the beginning of a very popular series - time travel, important people in history, page turning suspense....I have always meant to read the others in this series and still haven't gotten around to it.  

4.  Unaccustomed Earth by Jhumpa Lahiri- a collection of short stories (perhaps the first I ever read in its entirety) by this fabulous author.  Perhaps the only thing I know about this book is that short stories are nearly impossible for me to remember the details of ten years after I've read them.

5.  A Champion's Mind: Lessons from A Life in Tennis by Pete Sampras- I've read several autobiographies of tennis players and have enjoyed them all.  From his experiences at Wimbledon to his dating Kimberly Williams, this book was a little bit of a blast from the past for me.

So what books were you reading back in 2008? Or what about last year at this time?

1 comment:

Kay said...

I haven't read any of these and likely won't at this point. However, I do enjoy looking back at past reads. :-)