Thursday, November 16, 2017

Non-Fiction November: Favorites From 2017: Part 2

2017 has been a year full of great non-fiction books. I could potentially list 50 of them that I could recommend to people.  Here are a few more I am highlighting for you:





1.  Thanks, Obama: My Hopey Changey White House Years by David Litt-  I would read any political type memoir no matter party affiliation.  I loved this look that Litt provided as the speechwriter to President Obama. He was extremely young when he took this job, which is also amazing.  I gave this one a five star rating. It's one of several recent political books to be published about the Obama White House years, and one of my favorites.

2.  The Radium Girls: The Dark Story of America's Shining Women by Kate Moore- this is an incredible work of narrative non-fiction that tells the stories of individual women (most very young, just entering the work force), and their work at painting the glowing numbers on watches.  Their exposure to radium led to serious health problems, including death, yet the company who employed them refused to take any responsibility for it.  

3.  Option B: Facing Adversity, Building Resilience, and Finding Joy by Sheryl Sandberg, Adam Grant, Adam M. Grant- I loved the first book Sandberg wrote, Lean In, and this one is also fantastic. It could be read in short snippets, or in one sitting (like I did).  So much inspiration, common sense, great advice...self help, but not too preachy.  I think no matter your life situation, this would be a great read.

4. The Family Gene: A Mission to Turn My Deadly Inheritance Into a Hopeful Future by Joselin Linder - when Joselin was in her mid-twenties, her legs started to swell. This initial problem led to years of misdiagnoses and a connection to her family's health history that was scary and linked to a genetic condition not previously documented or successfully treated.  Fascinating and hard to put down.

5. This Is Just My Face by Gabourey Sidibe -I listened to this on audio and loved it. I loved hearing Sidibe's voice as she read her memoir, and I loved her story.  She shows herself to be an intelligent and successful woman.  

Start with these five (or those in my previous Non-Fiction November post) and if you run out of non-fiction reads, I have plenty more to recommend.

No comments: