Thursday, November 2, 2017

Non-fiction November: There Are Some Great Books Published This Year

Although November might be called Non-Fiction November, I read non-fiction all year round.  And love it. There are some great non-fiction books out there.  

When I was growing up the nonfiction selection was pretty dismal.  All text. Few pictures.  Rarely a photograph.  Today the nonfiction books being published for kids are AMAZING.  And the adult stuff is excellent, too.  

I'm highlighting a few of my favorites of 2017 today in case you are in need of a few suggestions.




Seinfeldia by Jennifer Keishin Armstrong - anyone who watched and loved Seinfeld will enjoy a look back at the series while reading this book.  I could remember so many episodes they talked about and listening to this on audio was like a walk down memory lane.

Long Haul by Finn Murphy - who knew trucking could be so interesting? Murphy shares the story of his life on the road as a mover of possessions for rich people.  Very interesting and informative.

The American Family by Khizr Khan -Khan came to fame because of the speech he gave at the Democratic National Convention in 2016.  His book takes us through his life story, showing that despite differences in background, race, and religion, we have more in common than you might believe.  And as un-American as some people may say Khan looks, he embodies everything this country stands for.

Janesville: An American Story by Amy Goldstein - I became interested in this book because my mother lived and taught in Janesville, Wisconsin for a time when she was right out of college.  Goldstein looks at how the closing of the General Motors plant affected this community.

Columbine by Dave Cullen- this provides an in-depth look at the events at Columbine.  Cullen has done his research and provides a very detailed look at this national tragedy.  Hard to put down, despite the sad subject matter.

These five are all great reads.  I had a hard time whittling down my list of books to share this week, and have decided that throughout the month I'll have to do periodic post sharing some other great non-fiction titles.  

And what non-fiction books have you read that were amazing?

1 comment:

Anne@HeadFullofBooks said...

I am participating in Nonfiction November, too, but with a motive. I am also reading as a judge of JH/SH nonfiction for The Cybils, 1st round. So far I have read 22 books and I am loving all the new stuff I've learned.