Monday, November 14, 2016

The Whole Town's Talking




Fannie Flagg is one of my favorite authors and this latest book was an absolute delight to read. The Whole Town's Talking takes readers through a century of life in Elmwood Springs, Missouri. Although some other Flagg novels are set in Elmwood Springs, it has been long enough since I've read them that if there were characters that overlapped in the novels, I didn't remember them. I don't think that took anything away from my enjoyment of this book at all. I loved hearing about the residents in this town, most who came from Sweden, and their quirky personalities. Flagg does such a great job of incorporating humor in her books that I found myself chuckling to myself frequently.

There were lots of characters by book's end, which was a little confusing as I tried to keep track of a town full of residents and how they were related to each other. As residents find themselves residing in the town cemetery, I wasn't sure I would enjoy a story where the dearly departed talked to one another. However, Flagg did this in a way that I still found interesting without seeming too cheesy.

I breezed through this book one Saturday afternoon, enjoying every single page of it. Fans of Flagg will love her latest novel, and The Whole Town's Talking should attract plenty of new readers as well.


This book will be released at the end of November and is perfect to curl up with over the cold and snowy winter months.

No comments: