Saturday, May 9, 2015

Picture Book Palooza: Another Group of Great New Books

I have had an amazing number of picture books come my way these past few weeks.  Harper Collins continues to send me fantastic children's books to review, and I have added a few more books to my school library's collection. Here is another round of some great picture books:



In the Waves by Lennon and Maisy Stella - I feel a little out of the loop that I hadn't heard of Lennon and Maisy Stella until the book In the Waves arrived.  The Stellas are musical performers and this is their first book illustrated to the lyrics of their song.  I predict that girls will especially enjoy the very cute illustrations, especially since actual photographs of these cute sisters are provided at book's end.  An easy read with the song available online.

Chu's Day at the Beach by Neil Gaiman and Adam Rex - Chu's big sneeze creates trouble when he spends the day at the beach - and breaks the water. Although he tries to sneeze again, it seems that sneezing isn't something he can force himself to do.  By the end of his trip to the beach everything is back to normal; Chu had a great day at the beach!

Charlie Plays Ball by Ree Drummond- Despite the fact that I'm not always a fan of celebrities who write children's books, I am in love with the Charlie books by the Pioneer Woman. Charlie Plays Ball is the latest installment.  Charlie shows everyone that although he loves playing ball, his favorite ball is still one he can eat.  I continue to read these to my students who continue to keep them checked out.

Blown Away by Rob Biddulph - Penguin takes a trip away from his cold home by catching a ride on a kite.  A few other animals join him for this adventure, only to realize that this penguin wasn't built for flying.  This was a fun read aloud with rhyming text and a story full of action.  Although initially the kite theme caused me to think of it as a spring book, children will enjoy Blown Away year round.

My Bike by Byron Barton- a great picture book for young readers that  provides colorful illustrations, a short story, and label the various items for young bike riders.  

Rappy the Raptor by Dan Gutman- a cute, cute, cute rhyming story about Rappy the Raptor who explains how he came to be a dinosaur that is rhymin' and rappin' all of the time.  This is a new favorite read aloud, which might only be better if it was accompanied by a CD.

Yard Sale by Eve Bunting - Bunting is one of my go-to authors and her latest book is another winner.  A young girl and her parents are moving to an apartment from their house.  They hold a yard sale before the move, unable to keep many of their possessions as they down-size for financial reasons.  

Counting Crows by Kathi Appelt - I like this cute counting book where crows are depicted in black and white, with a little red and white thrown in on each page.  The text is short and rhyming - a perfect short read aloud for young children.

Farewell Floppy by Benjamin Cloud -a young girl decides she must let her pet rabbit go, taking him to the woods where she plans to leave him.  This story has a little twist to it when another girl comes across the rabbit that has been left behind. This is a unique story that was fun to share with 

Thanks to Harper Collins for supplying copies of Rappy the Raptor, My Bike, Blown Away, Charlie Plays Ball, Chu's Day at the Beach, and In the Waves.  As always, the opinions expressed are my own.

No comments: