Saturday, November 29, 2014

Winter Street

Now that Thanksgiving is over, I feel like I can read a holiday book and not feel totally ridiculous.  Winter Street by Elin Hilderbrand is my first (and maybe my only) holiday book I have read this Christmas season.  (Just for the record, my intentions are always good, and I have a stack of Christmas books that I have accumulated and still not read). 

Winter Street is a fast and entertaining read.  Set on Hilderbrand's trademark Nantucket, the Quinn family take turns narrating this story that develops over one Christmas.




Kelley, the patriarch, runs an inn on Nantucket with his second wife Mitzi.  Mitzi has just revealed that she has been having a holiday affair with George who has played Santa for them at their yearly Christmas party. 

Ava, Kelley's daughter, has been trying to keep a relationship alive with a boyfriend who gives her the bare minimum of attention or affection.

Patrick the oldest son son of Kelley and his first wife Margaret is having his own crisis.  Although he has made a lot of money, it has not been entirely ethical and he is now facing criminal charges.

Keith has struggled after his divorce from his high school girlfriend.  His life has consisted mostly of marking time on Nantucket and tending bar. Now that he is dating he finds it hard to make a commitment.

All of the stories were interesting, and although I found it difficult initially to feel connected to the characters, I was totally invested in the story after I took a few minutes to sit down and read without distractions.  

Winter Street is not as lengthy as Hilderbrand's other novels but this holiday novel is a first, and I am hoping there will be a follow-up as there is a bit of a cliff-hanger at the end.

No comments: