Sunday, December 1, 2013

Sunday Salon




My brother-in-law took this picture of the grandkids walking down the first alley to the crick (yes, that is Iowa farmer talk for creek). Last Thanksgiving we were able to be outside without coats and had a picture taken on the porch. My dad was still at home, and although forgetful, functioning and able to participate in his daily activities.  This year has brought about a lot of changes in more than just the weather.

Last night we met up with another family and went out for supper. Afterward we went to the University of Northern Iowa's home wrestling meet in the West Gym.  It was hot, sweaty, and very exciting.  Two of my husband's former wrestlers now wrestle for UNI and we got to see both of them win.  As we left Middle Sister told me she wasn't feeling well.  She has said her stomach has hurt on and off for a few days, and my husband spent five days last week sick, so I know there is something going around.  Just a few miles from our house, she vomited all over the van.  Luckily we were close to home, and luckily for me, my husband dropped us off and then took the van to the car wash.  She seems better today, but still not quite herself. 


I have started a pot of peas soaking in water with the intentions of making some split pea soup for supper. My mom made this occasionally in my childhood, but my kids have never had it before. I am betting they don't just love it, but we'll see.

After I do a bit of school work, I am hoping to finish up Tinderbox by Lisa Gornick and start something else.  Unfortunately I have had to take a break from running. My foot is constantly hurting and even walking makes it sore.  I don't know how exactly I injured it, but kickboxing and running have are mostly to blame, I'm sure.  Right now I am  having to lay low with the work-outs, which is definitely not helping my Thanksgiving gorging.

We've got basketball practices and games, volleyball practice, church pictures, Advent services, piano lessons and who knows what else coming up this week.  How about you?  Any big plans for the first week of December?

2 comments:

Sheila (Bookjourney) said...

Here in Minnesota we have been in long sleeves but not jackets so far.... so good :)

Your pea soup sounds wonderful.

Rachel said...

Hi Tina,
It's Rachel here! I like to check in every now and then and get a little piece of Iowa since I am still homesick!! Love the snow/sledding picture. Missing the big hill in the cornfield behind our old place. :(
Hope you are well!! I also have very fond memories of pea soup as a child!