Saturday, October 5, 2013

Pete the Cat and His Magic Sunglasses

I was ecstatic to see the new Pete the Cat book waiting for me when I arrived home from work yesterday.  I have been looking forward to its release, and know my students and daughters will also enjoy another installment about this funny feline.

Pete is feeling rather blue, yet is determined to see the brighter side of things.  When the Grumpy Toad, an animal who is never happy, meets Pete wearing a pair of magic sunglasses that take the blues away, Pete tries them himself. He, too, sees the world in a more positive light, as does every animal Pete encounters who wears the sunglasses.  

Pete does realize that no magic pair of sunglasses can change his mood - that instead, the choice is his.  Without seeming preachy, this is a great little lesson for young readers.  The same rhythmic text that I have become accustomed to is present in this latest Pete book, along with the fun, colorful illustrations.

So far, Pete has not lost its charm or appeal.  I am happy to read each book and excited to share this one with my students at school - I have already pre-ordered a few copies since I know it won't be on the shelf very often!

No comments: