Saturday, September 28, 2013

Confessions of a So-Called Middle Child

I picked this book out mostly because of my own middle child, thinking she would enjoy it.  I didn't count on enjoying it myself or laughing out loud as I read.

Charlie is the middle child in her family, a bit of a bully, a fashionista, and in love with eating.  When she is kicked out of school for a mean prank she *almost* pulled and forced to start at a new school, it is her chance to turn over a new leaf.  And, when her "shrink" decides that Charlie should befriend the most bullied girl in school, she can't think of anything worse.

Lennon includes some pretty heavy stuff in this book - the death of a parent, bullying, sibling rivalry, the desire to fit in - yet, it is done in such a way that even though there is a message in Confessions of a So-Called Middle Child, tween readers will fall in love with Charlie and the funny way in which her story is presented.

I'm hoping this isn't the last we see of Charlie, and I can't wait to hear what my own middle child thinks of her.

No comments: