Monday, April 29, 2013

The J. M. Barrie Ladies' Swimming Society

Barbara Zitwer, the author of The J. M. Barrie Ladies' Swimming Society was kind enough to contact me and inquire if I would be interested in reading her book and reviewing it.  She was right when she mentioned that it seemed like a book  I would like. 
Her email was not the first I had heard of this book. I had already written down the title in my notebook since I heard of it and read a synopsis.  
Joey Rubin fits into the stereotpye I have of single New York women - a workaholic who doesn't have time for a man or relationship.  She is sent to the Cotswolds where she is to be in charge of the renovation of the home where J. M. Barrie, the author of Peter Pan got his inspiration.
While there Joey reunites with her best friend from childhood, discovering that the two don't have much in common anymore.  While Joey has remained single, her friend is the mother of four children and looks like her own mother - the woman they both made fun of when they were children.
And then Joey comes across a group of septegenarians swimming in the icy water one morning and joins them.  She begins to see their friendship and evaluate her own relationships And she begins to look at her own desire for perfection (she hasn't gained a pound since high school) and how these women are comfortable in their own bodies, saggy skin and all.  
I thoroughly enjoyed this novel, which was a fun read, yet full of so many messages for women about friendship and self worth, beauty and aging.
Thanks to Barbara Zitwer for the review copy and wonderful retro swimming hat.  (My girls have had a great time making fun of me when I put it on, but I love it!)





No comments: