Friday, February 22, 2013

Cry Your Eyes Out: Me Before You

I am not known for shedding a tear while reading books, even those that are incredibly sad. However, JoJo Moyes' book, Me Before You, is a book that I wanted to read in private simply because I would have liked to cry my eyes out.

Louisa has been hired to care for a quadriplegic, Will, despite having no previous experience as a caregiver or nurse.  Will's mother is looking for a companion for her son who feels he has no reason left to live.  Louisa's chatty personality might be the medicine Will needs to embrace life again.
And Will does test Louisa, trying to shut her out of his life.  Louisa, for her part, finds caring for a quadriplegic a bit awkward sometimes.  However, her family is in financial trouble and really needs her income, leaving her little choice. Forced to spend time together, Louisa and Will start to learn more about each other.

There is so much more I could say than this simple little synopsis. Yet, I knew very little before I read this book and ended up being blown away.  I didn't have any idea how Will and Louisa's story would turn out.  This book is classified a romance, yet it felt like so much more than a love story.  I can't help but thinking about Will and Louisa even now days after I have finished reading their story.

Just as Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn was my go-to book of the summer, the title I recommended to friends looking for a great read, Me Before You is my new go-to book - a story I want friends to have a chance to fall in love with as much as I have.

1 comment:

Gerbera Daisy Diaries said...

Checked it out at the library yesterday!!!!