Thursday, August 11, 2011

Weekly Geeks: Back to School

I've never participated in Weekly Geeks before, but these questions look so fun, that I can't help myself. And since I started school this week, I am totally into the whole back to school theme.

What's your favorite bookish school memory?
I loved school- still do- so I have a lot of memories of being a student. I remember reading Dicey's Song after finding it on my fifth grade teacher's book shelf. That is the first memorable experience I had with knowing the difference between quality books and more "fun" stuff like Nancy Drew. I remember my mother, who was my kindergarten teacher, reading Paddington aloud to us. Our school library was not much, but I loved to check out Mr. Apple's Family from it. We walked to the public library twice a month with our class as well.

Did your teacher read aloud to you? Do you remember what book it was?
I remember in second grade our teacher read Caddie Woodlawn to us. Our third grade teacher read James and the Giant Peach. In fifth grade our teacher read How to Eat Fried Worms. I know there were many more books than that, but those are the ones that come to mind. Sadly, I didn't always love being read to. Once I could read to myself, I would sometimes space out what the teacher was reading and have my own book hidden beneath my desk where I could read it without being disturbed.

Do you remember what books you checked out at the school library?
As I mentioned our school library did not have a good selection. The only book I recall checking out was Mr. Apple's Family. At the public library I loved Nancy Drew books, Judy Blume and Beverly Cleary. Eventually I discovered Cynthia Voigt and Norma Klein.

What was one of the first book reports you did for school?
I have absolutely no idea. In high school we were required to do an oral book report each quarter during my junior year. I remember those quite well because I was traumatized by public speaking. I memorized what I was going to say for each of them. My first one was Izzy Willy Nilly by Cynthia Voigt. Another was a book called Eric by Doris Lund.


Do you have a favorite book or author you first heard about from a teacher or school project?Sadly I can't remember teachers doing much book recommending to me. I constantly had my nose in a book and was always on the lookout for something to read, so I'm not sure why no one ever really took time to give me some book ideas. I know my mom asking different people for ideas of what I could read because I went through books so quickly.


Do you have a not-so-pleasant bookish memory from your school days?


I can't think of anything that was unpleasant of books from my school days. I do find it interesting, and unfortunately not out of the norm, that while I loved reading, I did not like reading class. How sad for students who are not readers - what would get them to love reading when even the students who are book crazy don't enjoy that part of the curriculum?


No comments: