Thursday, July 14, 2011

Weeding



Weeding books is not my strong suit. Today, however, I decided that I needed to get rid of some books. Why this sudden desire to clean out? After visiting a friend at her new home I was amazed at the little clutter they have. That is just not my house. Books are spilling out of every shelf. Right now I have a stack in my bedroom that is almost reaching the ceiling (much to my husband's disgust). I also have scrapbooking stuff, shelves full of family games, knitting supplies, scads of magazines.....lots of things that take up space. For several weeks now I have been thinking about weeding out some of my books. I have owned some of them for a long time - years- and they have never made if off the TBR pile. And now, several years later, it seems there is not a great desire to read some of them anymore. It is amazing how reading tastes change. I am not much into fluffy chick lit anymore. At least not enough into it to keep every chick lit title I have not yet read. Currently there are between 75-80 titles in my garage sale pile. It feels rather good to have moved some things out. Of course, 75-80 titles is just a drop in the bucket. I should probably get rid of 3 or 4 times that many books. But it is a start.

Do you weed your books? What do you do with books you no longer want to keep? Any feelings of guilt that you are getting rid of your precious books?

1 comment:

Melissa said...

I purged 150 books about a month ago. It actually felt real good. My TBR shelves were actually making me feel bad instead of good, so it was time to weed.