Sunday, February 6, 2011

Filling, Filler

Today's post (unless I become ambitious and post again later) is one of my favorite recipes. Recently I've had several friends ask for this recipe and it is one of our family's favorites.

Cheeseburger Soup

1/2 lb. ground beef
3/4 c chopped onion
3/4 c chopped carrot
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried parsley flakes
4 T butter, divided
3 c chicken broth
4 c diced peeled potatoes
1/4 c all-purpose flour
8 oz. processed American cheese (cubed)
1 1/2 c milk
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 to 1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 c sour cream


In saucepan, brown beef; drain and set aside. In same sauce pan, saute onion and carrot with parsley and basil in 1 T butter until vegetables are tender (about 10 minutes). Add broth, potatoes and beef; bring to boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes, or until potatoes are tender. Meanwhile in small skillet, melt remaining butter and add flour. Cook for 3-5 minutes or until bubbly. Add to soup, bring to a boil. Cook and stir for two minutes. Reduce heat to low. Add cheese, milk, salt and pepper; cook and stir until cheese melts. Remove from heatl blend in sour cream.


When I make this, I almost double the whole recipe. It is such a nice soup to have on a snowy day, and my middle daughter begs for me to make this often. I made a batch during one of our snow days last week and it was gobbled up quickly. This is amazing for our family because it seems we often have to throw leftovers out because they get old. (Well, sometimes I take them to my co-worker at school who is happy to have my old food - and I am happy that I don't have to feel guilty throwing good food away, but that's another story).
The picture is not one I took, but this is almost exactly what my soup looks like. Thank goodness for Google image.

1 comment:

Meg Waite Clayton said...

Came by on the blog hop - this looks yummy!