Monday, February 7, 2011

Blue Christmas...in February


Finally, finally I have read Blue Christmas by Mary Kay Andrews - a book I have been waiting to read for a few years. I love Andrews' books and was excited when Blue Christmas came out - back in 2006. However, it is one of those small, short Christmas books and for whatever reason the library didn't purchase it. And usually I am not a big fan of the small, short Christmas book. However, recently I noticed that a different public library close to my school did have this book. And I remembered something about it having the same characters as some of Andrews' other books.

While I didn't instantly recall everything that transpired in the books I had read about Weezie and Bebe previously, the main things certainly did come back to me. And this book, while shorter, does not read like a trite little Christmas story. Weezie's boyfriend is busy at his restaurant Gaule and finding time for each other is scarce. Weezie has new competition in her antique business. Cookie and Manny her gay neighbors are putting up quite a Christmas display and Weezie must find an idea to top them so she can win the award given to Savannah businesses for their holiday display. And meanwhile, someone is breaking in to Weezie's house and truck, taking food and other items.

This one was a very quick read. I love Andrews' writing. I love the Southern setting. And I love Weezie and Bebe. As Andrews continues her writing career, I am hopeful I will get to see more of these characters.

No comments: