Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Children's Classics Mystery Challenge


This is another challenge I read about a while ago at 5 Minutes for Books and knew it was calling my name. The year I started teaching I didn't feel like I had any real time to read adult books, so I started re-reading some books I had read while growing up. Nancy Drews (and The Babysitters Club books) made up a large part of my reading. I also finished my masters degree during that time and my research paper focused on different series books for girls written in the 1980s, comparing them to the Nancy Drew series and the roles of female protagonists in both. Since then I haven't spent much time reading series novels - I think it was a bit of overkill. I loved reading Nancy Drew and Trixie Belden mysteries when Iwas growing up. I saved my money each year to make a few trips to a city with a big book store where I could purchase several new books. It was on these trips that I bought my first ever Trixie Belden and Nancy Drew books. As an adult I rounded out my collection with Ebay purchases, and will pick one up from time to time. This challenge is for the first half of 2010, and is rather open-ended allowing participants to decide how many books they are going to read from the classic childrens' mysteries. Right now my goal, although perhaps not seemingly to be too much of a challenge, is to read one Trixie Belden book and one Nancy Drew book each month. Hopefully that will revive my love of these super sleuths and I may want to read more.
Look for my posts on the second Tuesday of each month.

No comments: