Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Liar


ARGH! I am pretty sure that is not how I should feel after finishing reading a book. Liar by Justine Larbalestier is a well written teen novel that I really liked at first. Plus, I have read so many positive reviews that I couldn't help but want to read it. Each review gave so very little away and made me so curious. Writing a review of this is almost impossible as I don't know what I can say that won't be considered a spoiler.

Micah is a liar. That is about the only thing I think I can tell you for certain. A number of things happen in the book - all things Micah tells the reader. By book's end I am not sure if I can believe any of her story, aside from the fact that she is a liar. The whole book changed for me when Micah tells us she's a __________. I'm not sure I agree with Larbalestier's decision to have Micah be a ___________. Could the story have been developed a different way? That made the whole book more unbelievable, which perhaps is the point. Peaceful Reader and I have talked about this a bit, but I would love to talk to a few more people who have read this book.

And Liar received so much attention because of the cover (both of which are pictured above), that maybe I didn't think too much about the plot before reading it.

Interesting. Thought provoking. Frustrating. Entertaining.

No comments: