Saturday, October 24, 2009

Germs in my House

I knew there was probably no way I was going to avoid sickness. My girls' elementary school had over 20% of their students gone on Tuesday. Last week I had a class of fourth graders that had only 9 students present (there are supposed to be 23) and a fifth grade class of 22 with only 5 students present. I have been using Clorox wipes on my books as they are returned, but when you teach to a group of students and have to talk above all the coughing, there isn't a lot of hope. I have had a cold, sore throat, achiness, chills and fever myself last week. I feel better, but am still horribly congested. Now my middle daughter is sick. She has been out of school since Wednesday at noon. Yesterday I stayed home to rest with her and took her to the doctor. She has an ear infection and pink eye. My oldest daughter is starting to cough today. Right now I am working at the public library and trying to get in some reading. I know it is the Read-a-thon weekend, which I am not really participating in, but figure I can get in some time while I sit here.
Yesterday I finished Jon Krakauer's Where Men Win Glory: The Odyssey of Pat Tillman. I have been intrigued by Pat Tillman since a news story years ago about this incredible man who would give up an NFL career to join the Army. I liked Krakauer's look at Tillman, but as I often find with his books, Krakauer is perhaps a bit wordy for me. I did skim some of the background information on Afghanistan and politics because what I am most interested in is the story of Pat Tillman and his life. Pat's mother has also written a book about her son that I would love to read.
Now I have moved on to Judy Shepard's book The Meaning of Matthew about her son, Matthew Shepard who was beaten and tied to a fencepost in Laramie, Wyoming, because he was gay. I have seen this book receive great reviews, and even though I am not done, am really enjoying it. Shepard's writing is easy to read, like you are having a conversation with her. It seems incredible that her son died over a decade ago because I still remember seeing news stories about him, too.
That's what's up for my weekend reading. I have a few other books (OK, lots and lots of books) stacked up for me to begin as well, so I will have more than enough to keep me busy. Hopefully the germs find their way out of my house soon so I can get back to my normal routine of early morning exercise. That usually gives me an additional hour of free reading time that I am in desperate need of.

1 comment:

Peaceful Reader said...

It sounds like your house is a lot of fun right now. Can I borrow the Matthew Shepard book also??