Friday, July 3, 2009

Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie

Flavia de Luce is such a likeable sleuth in Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley. This has been marketed as an adult book, and I don't think my elementary kids would get this book at all, but Flavia is only ten years old and able to solve the mysterious death of a former classmate and rival of her father's in her family's garden. Flavia possesses a great wealth of information about chemicals that she uses to help her in her deductions. Bradley's style of writing made me pay attention, it was both charming and clever, and I enjoyed the humor included in it. Bradley is already at work on his second book about Flavia that I will be looking forward to reading.

My local public library will be re-opening in just a few days after being closed for over a month for a remodeling project. I have a huge stack of books to return and am looking forward to picking up some new things to read, too. This weekend we have nothing too exciting planned - taking in some fireworks being the only real thing on the agenda. That should leave quite a bit of time for reading and maybe some running and doing my new DVD, Jillian Michaels No More Trouble Zones (which I like even better than The 30 Day Shred).

No comments: