Saturday, May 16, 2009

Itch


On Wednesday my youngest daughter started throwing up. She is still throwing up occasionally which has not provided for the best weekend. I have had a bit of time to read since her location of choice is laying on me while we are reclined on the couch. I would gladly give up this leisure reading time if it meant having a healthy child, but I have tried to make the most of it.

This morning I started Itch (and finished it, too) by Michelle D. Kwasney.

Delores "Itch" Colchester lives with her Gramps and Gram in Florida in the late 60s. For the most part everything in her life is going well. She has had the same best friend since second grade and the two of them hang out with each other since they are not a part of the popular crowd. Itch's mom left her when she was still a baby and no one has heard from her since. When Gramps dies suddenly, Itch and Gram are left to try and carry on. For Gram that means leaving behind the house that is so full of memories. The two move to Ohio where Itch learns how to make new friends and hears advice her Gramps gave her as she is confronted with a moral dilemma of her own: her friend Gwendolyn has a secret that Itch knows she must share in order to protect her.

I love middle grade fiction and this book is well written and very readable.

No comments: