Monday, February 2, 2009

The Red Shoes


I just received The Red Shoes by Eleri Glass with illustrations by Ashley Spires in the mail today. I enjoyed reading it and think my girls will like it tonight at bedtime, too. This picture book written in rhyming text tells the story of a girl and her mother shopping for shoes. The girl dreams of having the beautiful red shoes she sees at the store and not the boring functional ones her mother makes her try on. The illustrations are beautiful and show how important those red shoes are since they are the one bright object in the pictures. The rest of the illustrations are done in muted shades. I probably enjoyed this one a lot since it reminds me of my own shoe shopping experiences when I was growing up - wanting the beautiful shoes at the store. My own children will be able to relate, too, because they also always pick out the prettiest pair.

No comments: