Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Not Very Much Reading Going On

First of all, I was happy to get to see the ALA awards live on the Unikron site, and even though I did have people in and out of the library while this was going on, was able to hear some of it. Both Savvy and The Underneath were not surprises to me. I haven't read The Graveyard Book or the other honor book. I have only just seen the Caldecott winner. How I Learned Geography, one of the Caldecott honor books, is one I have in my school library and have used with a fourth and fifth grade class when we begin a unit on maps. After reading so many book blogs I can't say there were huge surprises. At least I had heard of all the winners even if I haven't read them all.
I am operating at an all time low of leisure reading. My youngest daughter has been to the doctor twice in the last two days. Yesterday my husband took her to a doctor we don't normally see since ours was booked. That dr. told us she just had a cold. Today I took her back in to our regular doctor who told us her double ear infection that she was treated for two weeks ago, was back, or maybe not ever really gone. UGH!. There is not a whole lot of sleep going on at night right now at our house. So, needless to say, I haven't read much either. I am going to finish American Wife this week and I will be so sad when it is over. I don't just love politics, but I do love First Families, and this fictional look at George and Laura Bush has been such a fun read. I can actually see the Bushes in every page Sittenfeld has written. I am still working on The Comeback Season by Jennifer Smith and Impossible by Nancy Werlin. Both are good and I will write a real review when I finish- which will be soon, I hope. I haven't even been to the library in a week and have things sitting there waiting for me. I am looking forward to getting back on track soon. I have also started my book club with fifth graders at school and after I think about that for a bit need to write about their reading, too.
For now I am off to watch Max and Ruby with my two year old. (I sort of wish I could have stayed home with her today because I am just dying to see the new Olivia series on Nickelodeon).

No comments: