Thursday, February 1, 2024

NonFiction For Children: Choosing Brave


Despite the fact that not judging a book by its cover is something I will often tell students, I will admit that I haven't felt compelled to pick this one up based solely on the cover.

Looking past the cover and finally opening it up, I realized what I've been missing out on.



 


Choosing Brave: How Mamie Till-Mobley and Emmett Till Sparked the Civil Rights Movement by Angela Joy, illustrated by Janelle Washington is an award-winning picture book -and after taking a look at it myself, I can see why it has won so many awards

This is the story of Emmett Till's mother, her life story before she was a mother.  And it is the story of her time raising Emmett and how she grieved for her son and shared her tragedy with the world so that everyone could see what had happened to her beloved son.  

The author's note provides more information about Mamie, and although kids may not read it, I appreciated learning more about her.  I watched Till last summer on vacation and found it to be heartbreaking.  I love the fact that there are different forms of media that tell this story and create a deeper and richer picture of ordinary people who acted extraordinarily.

No comments: