Sunday, August 27, 2023

Monday Mini-Reviews: Back to School Reading

 This time of year is always hectic and my reading always limps along slowly.  I'd love to be able to say that I will definitely be able to find a rhythm this next week, but I am thinking there are still a lot of things I need to take care of at work, and a lot less "free" time than during the summer.

These three books were all just what I needed this past week.




The Foundling by Ann Leary- Long ago I read Ann Leary's memoir and loved it and then eventually read The Good House, and loved it as well.  The Foundling did not disappoint.  Historical fiction at its best as Leary takes us back to 1927 to a home for feeble minded women who are kept against their will until they are no longer able to bear children.  Mary Engle stumbles upon a job there as a secretary and believes that Dr. Vogel, the only woman in her class in med school, is helping these women. As she uncovers the truth and is reunited with a childhood friend from the orphanage where they both grew up, Mary must find a way to expose Dr. Vogel and share with the world what is happening to these women.


Iron Lake by William Kent Krueger- for years I've been telling myself I will read a book by Krueger, and yet I have just never found the time to pick one up.  I decided to start with his Cork O'Connor series (not realizing that there are nineteen in the series and I've got a lot of catching up to do), and was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this one.  In some mystery series it takes me a while to really feel attached to the characters. That is not the case with this series. I loved the small town Minnesota setting and the outdoorsy-ness of this book.  The mystery was interesting and I found myself wanting to pick up the next book right away.  


Pineapple Street by Jenny Jackson was absolutely the perfect book for me to pick up during my first few days back at work.  I love a good dysfunctional family story - especially one set in New York's upper class.  The chapters move among three women in the Stockton family. Darley is the oldest daughter, married with two young children who gave up her career. Sasha grew up middle class and married into the Stockton family and never feels like she fits in. And Georgina is the youngest in the family, in love with a married man, searching for happiness. I loved this book and the way Jackson's characters felt real. 


It's a brand new week of school/work.  The first cross country meet of the season in on Tuesday which is also Little Sister's birthday.  If I'm lucky, I'll find a few quiet moments to pick up another great book or two.

No comments: