Monday, March 27, 2023

Monday Mini-Reviews: Four And A Half Star Fiction


It is no secret that I've been loving the books I've read this month.  My monthly totals might not be as high as January and February, but the quality cannot be matched.  

Last week I shared two five-star reads that I enjoyed during spring break.  But the other books I read in that same time-frame, were very nearly as good as the five star books. 




 

The Sweet Spot by Amy Poeppel - I have yet to read a book by Poeppel that I haven't loved, and this is no exception.  I love the three women whose storylines converge as they come together to care for a baby that is not theirs.  There is a little hilarity and misunderstanding that make me think that this could be adapted as a play, and the things I enjoy about Poeppel's books in the past- New York City setting, good writing- are here in this book, too.


The Golden Spoon - I kind of hate the comparison that this book is like a cross between the Great British Baking Show and Knives Out, but it is.  This is a fast read and as you get to know the contestants of this baking show, you also get to determine who might have been able to commit murder.  Lots of twists and turns and I wouldn't mind a second installment of some form.


Dust Child by Nugyen Phan Que Mai - I love historical fiction and reading about events in history that I knew nothing about.  I think this is the only book I've read set in Vietnam and focused on Amerasian children that were the result of American servicemen having relationships with Vietnamese women.  This book is heartbreaking and eye opening.  


I'm not sure what I can pick up next that can compare to these great books.  I've barely read any nonfiction this month, so I have plans to pick a few nonfiction titles up next.  But after that?  I have so many choices still on my TBR and after listening to Thoughts From A Page where Cindy highlighted April releases, there is no shortage of new books coming out.

No comments: