Thursday, February 9, 2023

Kid Lit: Five Star Historical Fiction

I love historical fiction. I'm always surprised by how little of it I actually read considering I think of it as my favorite genre.  However, while this is true, I think my love for middle grade historical fiction outweighs my love for adult historical fiction, and since my middle grade reading hasn't been very impressive the last couple of years, I guess it makes sense that I am missing out on some books in my favorite genre.

This is one no one should miss out on.




This dual timeline moves between 2020 where Matthew and his mom are stuck in their home during the Covid pandemic, taking care of Matthew's great-grandma who is nearly one hundred years old, and the 1930s.

Matthew's GG was a young girl in the 30s and he is tasked with going through some of her trunks to help her organize her things.  While sifting through papers, Matthew discovers some pictures of his GG and another young girl - and realizes that there is a family secret that no one has ever discovered. Through reluctant conversations with GG and Matthew's curiosity as he looks through photos and other papers, he learns of the Holodomor- the famine that killed millions of Ukrainians that people were afraid to talk about.

I found the fact that this devastating event is something I had never heard of - and neither has anyone I've now forced to listen to my book talk about it.  I have managed to convince quite a few people that this is a book they need to read and plan on happily passing on the recommendation for some time yet.  

If you've got a middle grade reader, or if you as an adult need a solid historical fiction book, this is one worth picking up.

No comments: