Sunday, January 22, 2023

Monday Mini-Reviews: Mysteries


Although I read mysteries, I don't ever think that I read a lot of them and often find the details fairly forgettable shorty after I turn the last page.  

This month I've already raced through three page turners, and they are unique enough that I don't think they will be so easily forgotten.




Everyone In My Family Has Killed Someone by Benjamin Stevenson was published in Australia (the setting of this novel) and the UK last year.  I purchased my copy a few months ago from The Book Depository, so I sat down with it this past week, intent on reading it before the US publication on January 17.  This is a clever and unique mystery narrated by Ernie as his family convenes at an Australian ski resort for a weekend.  We find out how various people in Ernie's family have died, and while the mystery is interesting enough, I liked the narration and the way Ernie (the narrator) breaks the fourth wall and talks to the reader.


Reef Road by Deborah Goodrich Royce- I haven't seen much about this one, which is a shame, because it is good.   Two boys discover a hand on the beach in Florida. A mother reports her husband and children missing - but delays doing so.  And an author fixates on the death of her mother's childhood friend that happened decades ago. These stories all converge and the last hundred pages flew by.  I had no idea how this would all connect in the end, but Royce ties it all together well and I will be recommending this one to anyone who likes a good mystery.


All The Dangerous Things by Stacy Willingham - Isabelle's son Mason was taken from his bedroom in the middle of the night a year ago. Since then Isabelle has only slept for short bursts of time, desperate to find him.  Her marriage hasn't managed to make it through this trauma, and her soon to be ex-husband has moved on, already starting a new relationship.  Isabelle has a history of sleepwalking and what worries her is that she may have had something to do with Mason's disappearance.  This one is a page turner and moves along so quickly it could easily be read in just one sitting.  


1 comment:

Kay said...

Good to hear your thoughts on these. I've read All The Dangerous Things and really liked it. Very creepy. I want to read the other two as well. Thanks for telling what you thought about them.