Tuesday, September 13, 2022

Monday Mini-Reviews: Three Winners

After two four day work weeks, I have full weeks coming up for the foreseeable future.  I had a relaxing weekend that I thoroughly enjoyed but this school year has felt very busy every day. 

Three novels I've picked up and read have all been good and worth passing on.






 

Carrie Soto is Back by Taylor Jenkins Reid has been all over social media.  I sometimes don't enjoy books that are overhyped.  However, I loved the world of tennis that Reid created.  I have seen more recently that there is some backlash that Reid has written a book about a character that is not white while she herself is white.  I just want to read books and enjoy them.  This was a great story.  I loved every page.  Reid consistently puts out enjoyable and entertaining reads.


Flying Solo by Linda Holmes was a nice, pleasant story.  I really, really loved Evvie Drake Starts Over by Holmes and this is another solid selection.  Laurie is turning forty, single (after a recent breakup), and going through her great aunt's house after her passing.  Laurie loved her great-aunt, who remained single her entire life. She spends time going through all of Dot's treasures, realizing that she, too, might be independent like Dot.  She also comes across a wooden duck that creates a little excitement, as it may be worth money and is taken under suspicious circumstances.


All Good People Here by Ashley Flowers is a suspenseful debut that had me turning pages quickly.  Flowers is known for her podcast, Crime Junkie, but I'm hoping this novel is not a one-time thing.  Told in two perspectives, Margot moves in with her uncle who is suffering with dementia and starts to investigate the murder of a young girl. She's convinced that the murder is connected to another young girl's death that happened twenty years ago.  I didn't see the twist at the end coming and appreciated how Flowers wrapped everything up. 

I love the fall selections I'm picking up, but still have so many summer books on my TBR.  I will never run out of reading material, but if you've got any suggestions for me, I'm always glad to add to my TBR.

No comments: