Sunday, July 31, 2022

Summer Check-In

 In June, I selected sixteen books I hoped to read over the course of the summer.  I have a love/hate relationships with lists like this because mostly I want to read what I want to read when I want to read it.  

I started out strong but as the summer has progressed, I've slowed down a lot in reading off of this list.  Although, in July I did read 26 books, so I am actually reading a great deal.  

I'm giving myself until Labor Day to weigh in with my final summer reading list, but here's my mid-summer check-in:




Homewreckers by Mary Kay Andrews- if you love MKA, Southern settings, a little suspense and romance, this one fits the bill.  I always associate Mary Kay Andrews books with kicking off summer.

Marrying the Ketchups by Jennifer Close- I love everything Close has written and this one, set in Chicago featuring a family that owns a restaurant was excellent.

The Stationery Shop by Marjan Kamali- 1953 Tehran, romance and heartbreak. I fell in love with this story.

Last Summer on State Street by Toya Wolfe- FeFe is growing up in the projects in Chicago in 1999, watching her neighborhood become involved in gang violence, and friendships falter.  

Unlikely Animals by Annie Hartnett- a unique story-Emma returns to her small hometown as her father is slowly dying of some form of dementia which is causing hallucinations.  Emma's best friend from her childhood is also missing and it seems that no one aside from Emma is looking for her.  

Tokyo Dreaming by Emiko Jean- this is the sequel to Tokyo Ever After, and is somewhat similar to the Princess Diaries as Izumi learns she is part of the Japanese Royal Family. In this second installment she and her mother have moved into the palace and are trying to fit in to their new life.

The Island of Sea Women by Lisa See has been on my shelf for a few years. I love See's books, and this historical fiction novel based on the women in Korea who dive and gather things from the ocean, providing a living for their family.  I found this story fascinating.

Finding Me by Viola Davis- this is Davis' memoir that I listened to her narrate on audible.  I loved hearing Davis share her memories in her own voice.  Her childhood was traumatic, but her accomplishments are many.

Cover Story by Susan Rigetti - this novel told in texts, emails and journal entries is such a fast read and left me wanting to throw the book across the room - and I recommend it to everyone I talk to.  


August brings the start of school and a lot of busyness as I prepare for that and attempt to get a few summer projects started - and finished.  I may or may not get much further on this summer reading list; I pick books based on what I want to read at the moment.

2 comments:

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

I've read (4) from your list. I made a list of (20) and have read (12) I think plus others I hadn't planned on. LOL

Kay said...

I've only read The Island of Sea Women from your list, but I loved that one. Have recommended it to so many. Such a wonderful story and so much to learn there. Take care and enjoy the rest of your summer!