Wednesday, July 27, 2022

Children's Lit: What I Read The Last Week of Summer School

Summer school is over and although I did enjoy it, I'm excited for a short break.  Since I taught a second grade class, I was able to pick out some amazing picture books to share.  Many of them I've only been able to read to myself (I've lost my audience for read alouds since my girls are older and my students are, too), so I am always delighted when I get to read to my students.

Every single one of them was a hit. 





Little Red by Bethan Woollvin - this fun retelling of Little Red Riding Hood got the kids thinking - and scratching their heads a bit.  I love that there is a little dark humor to be laughed at and that kids can get it, too.


Finding Winnie: The True Story of the World's Most Famous Bear by Lindsay Mattick - this historical fiction picture book starts in 1914 when Captain Harry Colebourn rescues a bear cub he names Winnie.  Years later Winnie is living in the London Zoo and makes friends with a young boy named Christopher Robin. I loved this picture book and kids still know Winnie the Pooh and also love hearing this story about who he was named for.


Aaron Slater, Illustrator by Andrea Beaty - what a great addition to Beaty's growing collection of books.  Aaron loves drawing and illustrating, but reading - something he longs to do - is much harder for him.  Based on the true story of Aaron who struggles with dyslexia, Beaty does a great job of showing that all brains work differently.


Blackout by John Rocco - this is the book that made me fall in love with Rocco's work.  These illustrations are beautiful and just as in my previous elementary library experience, my summer school kids loved looking at and discussing each page's pictures.


I'm Terrified of Bath Time by Simon Rich -told in the perspective of the bath tub, this is a fun book - especially for kids who may be scared of taking a bath - or remember that time when they were younger.  


It has been so fun reading these out loud to kids.  Although I could read them myself, it is much more fun with an audience.  


No comments: