Monday, April 12, 2021

Monday Mini-Reviews: Back to Historical Fiction

I've been on bit of an historical fiction binge lately. I love this genre, but over the years of blogging and having to read certain books at certain times, I haven't always been able to read the books I wanted to, and I am truly enjoying having a chance to read as much historical fiction as I want when I want. 





Unyielding Hope by Janette Oke and Laurel Oke Logan is published by Bethany House, a Christian publisher.  I don't read a ton of Christian fiction, but Oke is an author I've been reading since I was seven when I was gifted Love Comes Softly. I know I can count on her to provide an entertaining read as well as some Scripture based wisdom.  Sisters who have just been reunited, Grace and Lillian take in a group of children who have been orphaned after various adoption plans fall through. There is a little hint of romance and the book ends on a cliffhanger leaving me wanting more.  I know I'll pick up this second installment as soon as it's released and if you are looking for something wholesome and uplifting, this one is a good pick.


When We Were Young and Brave by Hazel Gaynor- Gaynor is quickly becoming a must-read author for me.  This story begins in China in 1941 and is based on the real life events of a group of American and British school children who are under house arrest and sent to an internment camp by the Japanese who are stationed in China.  The story is narrated by Elspeth, a teacher at the school, and Nancy, one of the students.  Years pass and conditions continue to deteriorate for everyone at the camps and Nancy yearns to see her mother again.  Gaynor manages to wrap things up nicely with a reunion years after the war is over, and I found myself still thinking about these people days after I was finished with the book.  I love learning about events in history and I continue to be amazed by the aspects of World War II I am still unaware of.


Maybe I'll branch out this week and read something that's not historical fiction. I've got a few books that I'm partially through and need to find some time to finish them up. We've got three track meets this week (and cold weather, of course) so I don't see much free reading time on my horizon. 

No comments: