Sunday, December 13, 2020

Monday Mini-Reviews: Mysteries To Curl Up Wit



There are just a few mystery series that I am caught up with.  Matt Goldman's series (which has only four books so far) and Linda Castillo's Kate Burkholder series are two of them.  I know when I read them I will be catching up with old friends and familiar places.  



 

Dead West by Matt Goldman is the fourth installment in this series featuring Nils Shapiro.  I've read these all in a fairly  short period of time which has kept these characters fresh in my mind and I've been happy to learn more about them each time.  This mystery moves from snowy Minnesota to California as Nils is hired by an older couple to investigate their grandson and his Hollywood dealings.  Nils quickly determines there is more going on than meets the eye and the death of Ebben's girlfriend is most likely a murder.  This story is full of suspense and by the books' end I was already checking to see if the fifth mystery had a release date (it doesn't as far as I can see).


Outsider by Linda Castillo -Castillo brings in a person from Kate's past in Outsider- a young woman who had been Kate's roommate after they became police officers.  Gina is injured in a shooting when cops break into her house one night.  She has a getaway vehicle at the ready, but crashes the truck in the middle of a snowstorm and is rescued by an Amish man that Kate also knows.  When Kate is called to see Gina, Gina shares a story of police corruption that is hard to believe, and Kate knows she is holding something back..... this one is a page turner right down to the very last page.  I've already seen that Castillo has two books coming out in 2021 and I'm excited about both of them.


I've taken a little detour from mystery reading to work in some Christmas books I have been saving up for the season, but there's nothing more enjoyable than curling up with a mystery- especially one from a beloved series.

1 comment:

Kay said...

I love Linda Castillo's books too. Good to know that there will be two offerings in 2021. I see the first one is a collection of short stories about Kate and company in February. Yay! Enjoy your Christmas books!