Monday, November 5, 2018

First Monday in November: Blast From the Past


It's the first Monday in November, which means it's time to look back at what I was reading a decade ago.  There are always so many great books to look back at, and some I'd love to re-read....but the TBR piles keep getting bigger, so my quick nod to the ones I most enjoyed each month is usually all I get around to.  

Here are five highlights from November 2008:






Time of My Life by Allison Winn Scotch - Jillian is a new mother who has given up her career. She's bored with diaper changing and can't help but asking herself, "what if?"  When she wakes up one day seven years in the past, she's not married yet and is still dating her ex-boyfriend. Is she really getting a do over?  I love this concept and I think "what if?" is something most people have asked themselves from time to time.  Scotch is one of my favorite authors and I loved this book. The cover is also absolutely perfect!


Testimony by Anita Shreve- Shreve passed away in 2018, and she's an author I will miss. I read everything she wrote, and began when Oprah first introduced her to readers around the country by selecting The Pilot's Wife for her book club. Testimony deals with a sex scandal at a school, which is definitely something we see in the news, and a plot that readers will relate to.

The Possibilities of Sainthood by Donna Freitas - this is a fun YA novel - Antonia is fifteen and hasn't been kissed. She's also wanting to be a saint, which is not something that will happen very easily. Each month she busies herself with nominating a person for sainthood, but so far that hasn't happened.  I remember bits and pieces of this novel, but Freitas has several YA books to her credit that I've enjoyed

Lake Effect: Two Sisters and a Town's Toxic Legacy by Nancy Nichols - non-fiction and timely, Nancy Nichols promises her sister, Sue, on her deathbed that she will research the connection between the cancer she has and the pollution she was exposed to in her hometown, a factory town on Lake Michigan.  There is plenty to think about in this well researched book.

Fire From the Rock by Sharon Draper -What I most remember about this book is the fact that I read it on a twenty hour car trip to Montana for my brother-in-law's wedding.  I loved this YA historical fiction novel that told the story of Syliva, an African American girl, who is invited to be one of the students to integrate Central High School in 1957.

What were you reading ten years ago? Last year?

1 comment:

Kay said...

The only one of these that I've read is Time of My Life and I remember that I loved it. I need to go back reread this one. I don't think I knew that Anita Shreve had passed away or maybe just forgot. I haven't read Testimony though I've read other books by her. Think I'll look for it.