Monday, September 7, 2026

Monday Mini-Review: Labor Day Reading

 Even though I've been back at school for nearly a month, Labor Day seems to be the official end of summer - and the end of summer reading.


August reading was a little bit of a struggle, and I needed books that I could read while still having school in the back of my mind.  I picked up a few different mysteries/novels of suspense that I was able to fly through.




Shari Lapena's novel is a fast read.  A couple with money problems plot to kill the husband's wealthy brother in order to inherit his fortune. After his death they face scrutiny as investigators look into the boating accident that killed the wealthy man.  This is probably a novel that won't be memorable, but it did hold my attention.




I was expecting a litte more from The House Wife, but it felt very Freida McFadden-ish.  Jodie seems to have married the perfect guy, but he's got some secrets- and so does she.  While Roy may be worse than anyone could imagine, Jodie is the only one who seems to see that side of him.  This one does have twists and turns and is a quick read, but I was a little let down by this one.




I loved Derva McTiernan's previous novel What Happend to Nina and couldn't wait to read this newest one. This one hooked me right away and I couldn't put it down.  Alexis Turner reports an assault to the police, and then disappears.  Then three different people receive packages that will destroy each of their lives. The contents of these packages have been carefully chosen, and as the investigators race to solve this crime, they realize they are a part of the game that has been crafted by the killer.




Next of Kin is also un-put-down-able.  Leila is on her way to work when her brother-in-law phones to ask if she can drop off her nephew, Max, at daycare.  Leila stops by, Max is loaded in his carseat into her car, and Leila speeds off, only to be interrupted with a call from work.  An emergency at her office sends Leila's thoughts spiralling about the busy day she has ahead. She doesn't think about anything but solving the work problem, until her brother-in-law phones her to see what is going on after receiving a call from the daycare that Max has never arrived.  Max's death is tragic, but Leila is under a microscope for killing her nephew, and there are more twists and turns to this story than you can imagine.


I'm still in the crazy first few weeks of school where I just can't get everything done no matter how much time I spend on work (made worse by the fact that there are only four librarians in our district when two years ago there were seventeen), but I'm hoping I can keep enjoying some great reads in the down time I have.


No comments: