Monday, June 3, 2024

NonFiction Tuesday: An Unfinished Love Story

 Several years ago Doris Kearns Goodwin spoke at the local university one evening.  My mom and I attended and I loved to listen to the stories she told about the presidents she has spent her career studying.  





Her newest book is a look back at her husband's career, a little bit different than DKG's previous writing.  Dick Goodwin passed away in 2018 of cancer, but in the years prior to that he and his wife were spending their weekends going through the 300+ boxes of memorabilia he had collected during his years with the Kennedy administration, working for LBJ, and his friendship with Bobby Kennedy and work on his campaign until Bobby's death.

Both Goodwins had front row seats to history, but didn't meet each other until 1972.  Goodwin weaves her husband's story in with the history he was a part of and includes her own role she played during different points in this book.  

It took me a long time to read this book, which was actually perfect.  Often I rush through everything I read, and don't really get a chance to savor books.  This was the book I spent the entire month of May reading while I ran on the treadmill.  I often only read 20-ish pages at a time, but I always looked forward to the next run (something I find doesn't always happen), and couldn't wait to learn more about this period in history and the way the Goodwins were involved personally.  

I've loved watching DKG speak on morning news shows since I was a kid and continue to look to her for her wisdom and perspective on our nation's history and current condition.

No comments: