Sunday, June 2, 2024

Monday Mini-Reviews: Summer Reading Kickoff

 



A few weeks ago I had a couple days off work to go to the state track meet. I watched a lot of running, but I also brought a lot of books along. Unlike some years when it's rainy and cold and not all that much fun, we had three days of beautiful weather - perfect to watch running and read books.  

It felt like summer reading weather - and the beach ready books I brought along kicked things off the right way.


Funny Story by Emily Henry was just as good as her other books.  Daphne is a children's librarian and with that alone I already knew I was going to love this one.  She has assimilated herself into her fiance, Peter's, life in his hometown.  When Peter breaks up with her and decides he's in love with his best friend, leaving Daphne stranded in this small Michigan town far away from her mother and without any close friends.  Desperate for a place to stay, Daphne moves in with her ex-fiance's new girlfriend's ex-fiance.  You can guess the ending, no doubt, but of course there are obstacles along the way.  I loved this book; Emily Henry fans won't be disappointed.


This Summer Will Be Different by Carley Fortune - a couple years ago Fortune's first novel was all over social media.  I never got around to reading it before my middle daughter disappeared with it and loaned it to her friends, so as soon as Fortune's newest book arrived, I made sure to grab it before anyone else did.  The Prince Edward Island setting is beautiful and makes me want to book a vacation there immediately.  Lucy visits PEI each year with her best friend, Bridget.  Bridget warned Lucy not to fall in love with her brother, Felix, but before Lucy even knows that Felix is related to her best friend, she finds herself in bed with him.  Each year she promises that it won't happen again, but the two are drawn to each other.  Although it seems like just a fling, there might be more to it than just a physical relationship.


Just For the Summer by Abby Jimenez is full of Easter eggs as characters from previous books make appearances in this one.  Emma is a traveling nurse who moves from place to place with her best friend/foster sister.  Justin posts on social media that he is cursed with always being the boyfriend girls dump right before finding their soulmate. When Emma reaches out and comments, the two begin talking and eventually Emma takes a short stint at a hospital in Minnesota.  After all, if she and Justin "date" for a while, they will both find their soulmates after the breakup.  Except they really like each other.  And that's really scary for Emma because she's never really let anyone see her as vulnerable before.  I hope that Jimenez keeps writing romances with little glimpses of characters from her previous books sprinkled throughout because I'd sure like to see where Emma and Justin end up.  


Three romances in a row as a lot for me.  I've moved on to different genres for a while, but I already have a few different romances set aside that I can't wait to get to.  

No comments: