Monday, October 10, 2022

Monday Mini-Reviews: A Trio of Fiction

Fall is flying by and this past weekend we had beautiful weather to enjoy.  Charlie, our puppy, is getting bigger (and acts crazier than ever), and I think I can finally have a schedule that allows me to work out in the morning again.  I am so excited to get my run in before school and not after.

This week's reading has been good:





The Real Mrs. Tobias by Sally Koslow- I loved the NYC setting. Having just been there a couple of months ago I could envision exactly what Koslow described.  The three women who married Koslow men narrate the story, each of a different generation.  I'm not sure which woman is the real Mrs. Tobias, but I liked all three narrators and found the story interesting.


Lucy by the Sea by Elizabeth Strout- I finished Oh, William! by Strout not all that long ago, so I really appreciated meeting up with Lucy and William again.  This time they are living through the pandemic, and although Strout and I don't see things the same way, I found it an interesting story. I'm hoping we get another glimpse of these two again.


I Will Not Drown in a Glass of Water by Angie Cruz -  this one is written in a clever way and I've heard that the audio is incredible.  Cara hasn't had to look for a job in a couple of decades, but when her factory sends their work overseas she's forced to see a job counselor.  In interviews with the counselor, we learn a lot about Cara's life which is a little bit humorous, but also a little bit heartbreaking.


All three were great, and 2022 as I am starting to look back on it, has been full of some really good books.

No comments: