Sunday, November 7, 2021

Blast From the Past: November 2011

 Yesterday was busy and any intention I had of getting a blog post done just didn't happen. I finally sat down after supper and by then I was ready to read for a bit and then go to bed early.  So, today you get to see the highlights of my reading from November of 2011.





Destiny of the Republic by Candice Millard- I still think about this book occasionally.  I really knew nothing about James Garfield prior to reading this book and learning about his assassination was absolutely fascinating.  If you are in need of some great non-fiction, this one (or anything by Millard) would be worth picking up.

Olivia Bean Trivia Queen by Donna Gephart- Oliva is a girl after my own heart. She loves trivia and watches Jeopardy every night.  She's just not very good at geography. I loved all the trivia in this book where Olivia is quickly absorbing as many facts as she can.

Fathermothergod by Lucia Greenhouse- the title of this memoir didn't much appeal to me, but I was in love with this book when I started reading.  Lucia grew up in an affluent household in Minneapolis and had the comforts of a good life - but her parents believed in Christian Science and therefore didn't get medical care for their children.  This is a look at a religion most people don't quite understand and how Greenhouse and her family were affected by it.

Bond Girl by Erin Duffy - Duffy worked on Wall Street for a decade and this book is a little bit like The Devil Wears Prada only set in the finance industry.  This is smart women's fiction and although the details of the story are no longer fresh, I remember thoroughly enjoying this one.

Wonderstruck by Brian Selznick - This book blends both words and pictures together into an amazing story.  Selznick creates two storylines (one words, one pictures) that then converge. I love everything he's created and also enjoyed reading this one aloud to my girls.

What were you reading back in 2011? What about last November? Have you read any of the books I've shared?

No comments: