Wednesday, September 29, 2021

YA: Piecing Me Together

There are just so many fantastic YA books out there that I'll never get to read them all, but I did just tell a student that I was going to need to work until I am at least ninety because there are so many books in our library that I want to read and just don't have time to get to.  

Piecing Me Together was published a few years ago, but I just recently picked it up on the recommendation of our eighth grade literacy teacher.  And it is as good as he claimed. 





Jade's mom wants Jade to be successful and to get out of their rough neighborhood. So Jade attends a mostly white private school where she has opportunities that other kids in her neighborhood don't get.  However, Jade doesn't like how she feels about some of these "opportunities" that make her feel like she's not as good as other people.  And she doesn't like feeling like a charity case.  But, when she gets overlooked for something she really wants to be chosen for, that makes her mad as well -and drives a wedge between her and her best friend. 

I feel like there are so many great discussion opportunities with this book that it would make a great full-class novel.  Although there is nothing inappropriate in this book, it is truly more YA than middle grade.  I've already checked it out to a student since I've finished it and it will be one I recommend often.  

After reading Piecing Me Together, I want to dive into Watson's other books.  I can't wait to see what other stories she's told.

1 comment:

Peaceful Reader said...

I loved this one as well, have you read Genesis Again?