Sunday, February 7, 2021

Blast From the Past: February 2011

 It's time for a blast from the past from February of 2011.  Here are five books that I read and enjoyed a decade ago.  




The Winter of our Disconnect by Susan Maushart - This book really made me think about things a decade ago - specifically  how much time is spent online.  I don't think things are any better in 2021 than they were in 2011.  It seems as though we are all travelling down a dangerous path of plugging ourselves in much of our lives. This might be a good book to read again and remind myself of the advantages to unplugging for a bit.

Winter Garden by Kristin Hannah- here we are ten years later and Hannah has just published another blockbuster hit.  I liked Winter Garden which centers around a woman who is recalling pieces of her Russian girlhood that she hadn't shared with her children, but despite many friends raving about it, I was not entirely in love with it.  

Pioneer Woman: Black Heels and Tractor Wheels by Ree Drummond - this is a fun little love story about how Ree Drummond and her husband, Ladd, fell in love and got married.  I'm not saying the writing was amazing or this will blow you away, but I absolutely loved this book.

One Crazy Summer by Rita Willams Garcia- this book has so many award stickers on it that you can barely see the cover. It is that good.  A middle grade novel about three sisters that travel to California to see their mother who abandoned them.  It's 1968 and there is plenty to think about as the Civil Rights movement is in motion and their mother is a part of it.  

The Daughters Break the Rules by Joanna Philbin - I still love this fun series  that is clean and appropriate for upper elementary students as well as middle grade ones.  I love the New York setting along with the wealth these characters have.

What were you reading back in February of 2011? Have you read any of these books?

No comments: