Sunday, January 10, 2021

Monday Mini-Reviews: The First Fiction of 2021

 Just this morning as I was getting ready for school, I tried to figure out how many Mondays I'd been back at work since the holidays. I was surprised to realize we've been back at school for just one full week.  What?! It feels like we've been back at it for several weeks already.  That's OK.  It feels good to be in a routine.  

It has been a while since I've done a Monday Mini-Review post and I've read a few books definitely worth sharing.  




I started 2021 with Asha Lemmie's debut novel, Fifty Words For Rain.  This was a Good Morning America pick and I ended up loving it. Nori is an illegitimate child - and as a "half-breed"  as she is called in China, she is worth nothing.  Her mother abandons her, leaving her with her maternal grandparents who hide her away and abuse her emotionally and physically.  When her half-brother comes to live with them as well, Nori and Akira meet for the first time.  Their bond is strong, and their futures are tied to each other.  I was 100% into this story, but struggled with the ending. I'm still thinking about it and need to find someone whose read it to talk it over with.

I read a few non-fiction books that were fine, and then picked up The Duke and I by Julia Quinn. I enjoy a romance from time to time, but am not a huge fan of historical fiction romances- or maybe more specifically Regency romances.  I was just wanting to read it and see what all the fuss was over the Netflix adaptation.  And then I started reading and could not put it down.  I loved Daphne and Simon's romance.  This is easy reading and it was fun to pick up this book.... basically I read almost all of it in one sitting.  I might watch Bridgerton someday, but I am more worried about finding a copy of the second book in the series  - which is tough right now due to their popularity.




I've been knocking off another non-fiction book this weekend, and then I think it's time for me to dive into fiction in a big way.  


No comments: