Sunday, October 25, 2020

Monday Mini-Reviews

I knew that my stretch of reading some amazing books would eventually come to an end -or I'd have a reading slump.  


Well, I'm still reading some really good books, but I have definitely entered a reading slump of some form.  


I spent all week reading Her Last Flight by Beatriz Williams, but was interrupted so many times that I finally just decided to restart the whole book.  Which was a great choice because it is a great book. But, reading is slow right now.  I've got nearly 100 books checked out from the library, but have just picked up the sixth Louise Penny book in her Inspector Gamache series because that's what sounds good to me.   

I'm expecting a better reading pace coming up soon, but for now I'll enjoy what I am getting read (as well as some episodes of Gilmore Girls on Netflix in my free time).




The Silent Patient by Alex Michaelides- has been on my TBR for a few years. I heard amazing things about it when it first came out, but now I've heard mixed things from friends.  I liked how it quickly captured my attention and I was quickly sucked in.  This is one of the many psychological thrillers that seem to be everywhere and there were definitely some twists I didn't see coming, but I was left a little disappointed.  I feel like that's one of the risks of going into a book with such high expectations....they are hard to live up to. I would recommend this to anyone who wants something fast and engaging and it is certainly worth the time to read, but I wasn't wowed by it.

Her Last Flight by Beatriz Williams - I read the first half this book twice- and I admit the second time through was much more enjoyable because I actually wasn't interrupted constantly. The story shifts between two different time periods - the 1920s and 40s as the narrator tries to do some research to write a book about famed aviator Sam Malloy whose body she discovered.  I loved the way this moved back and forth in time and Williams' revelations that continued throughout the novel, tying everything up neatly.  I've read all of Williams' books and this is definitely one of my favorites.

A Good Girl's Guide To Murder by Holly Jackson - this book is a little like the podcast Serial.  Five years after popular high schooler, Andie, disappears and her boyfriend commits suicide, Pippa decides to write her senior research paper on the case because she doesn't necessarily believe the story that the public was fed by the police.  I loved the suspense in this novel.  I did feel like it could have been shortened a bit, but I'm excited to see the second book in this series and can't wait to recommend it to my students.  

Have any of you read one of these books? What are your thoughts?

1 comment:

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

I've only read Silent Patient but liked it a lot.

Tina, how did you get blogger to cooperate and post the 3-covers like that. I'm guessing you may be very good with HTML? In any event, it looks great.