Monday, October 5, 2020

Blast From the Past: October 2010

 



Crossing the Tracks by Barbara Stuber-  this YA novel absolutely captivated me.  I loved Iris whose father hires her out to help care for an elderly woman.  Despite Iris' home life, she finds a lot to be thankful for in her new position.  I can't remember many details of this novel, but I do remember loving it.


The Other Half of My Heart by Sundee T. Frazier - biracial twins Minerva and Keira look nothing alike.  Minnie looks white like her father, while Keira is black like her mother.  Their grandmother enters them both in an African American beauty pageant, and Minnie who dreads the spotlight is sure they can get through it together, while Keira has to face her grandmother's prejudice.


Factory Girls: From Village to City in Changing China by Leslie Chang - this non-fiction account of two young women who leave their homes in rural China to work in factories in the city offer a glimpse into what life is like for many young women in this country. I found the entire book fascinating.


The Incorrigible Children of Ashton Place by Mary Rose Wood - I only read the first book in this series and always meant to read another, but here it is - a decade later and I've yet to do it.  This story is just a little bit creepy and I knew that there was some awful secret that would eventually be revealed.  Although details have faded from my mind over the ten years, I'd happily pick up this book again.


The Personal History of Rachel Dupree by Ann Weisgarber- I love a good frontier novel, and Weisgarber's is unique in that I've never read about the African Americans who decided to head west and homestead.  There's plenty of hardship in this novel, but I still remember it years after reading it.


Have you read any of these books?  What were you reading back in 2010? 





No comments: