Monday, September 21, 2020

Monday Mini-Reviews: Three Fantastic Reads




Over the past few weeks I have read some amazing books. In fact, I feel like this is setting me up for not being able to get into anything someday soon. I hope not, but I can't imagine continuing to find such great books with every single title I pick up.  

These three are all very different, but I couldn't put any of them down.  





 

His and Hers by Alice Feeney - this is a thriller that had me turning pages quickly. I also feel like there were times when I wasn't sure I could keep reading because the story so badly creeped me out.  This is a little Mean Girls-esque, as three young women are murdered and all are connected by their childhoods.  I had no idea where the story was going, and every time I thought I had things figured out, there was another twist to things.  The creepiness in it makes me feel like it is the perfect book to pick up around Halloween and Feeney, whose first book I loved, does not disappoint.

The End of October by Lawrence Wright - this is a book I avoided reading because I've been told several times how much this resembles our current reality.  It is amazing to think that Wright wrote of a deadly flu virus that wreaked havoc on society, much like what we are experiencing now, before Covid ever existed.  I loved this story, though. I loved the information about pandemics and I loved the characters Wright created.  This is definitely a book I'll be recommending to others, but it is probably not for everyone at this point in time.

Transcendent Kingdom by Yaa Gyasi - I loved this book, too.  I will admit that all the gushing praise I heard about it created some high expectation on my end. That's no always a great thing.  However, Gyasi's sophomore novel was as good as her first.  Gifty is such a real character: someone who must deal with addiction and mental illness in her family, and also someone who is trying to reconcile the faith of her childhood to the career in science she now has. I'll be thinking about this story for a long time.  

I'm almost positive that two of the books I'm sharing will be listed among the best books I've read in 2020.  

Has anyone else read these books and have thoughts about them?

2 comments:

Ti said...

I'll probably read the Gyasi book at some point as I did enjoy her first book.

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

The Alice Feeney book is on my list. I started the audio but, the male voice was a bit creepy for bedtime LOL