Monday, September 28, 2020

Monday Mini-Reviews: A Pair of Fantastic Fiction

 




I feel like at some point I am due for a huge reading slump.  Obviously I hate when that happens, but I've read one great book after another, and I can't imagine that this will always be the case. 

This week I got through two adult titles that I'd be happy to recommend to anyone.

One To Watch by Kate Stayman-London- is a take-off of the reality show The Bachelor. I've never watched The Bachelor, but I understand the general premise.  This book is a lot of fun, but it also has some deeper message in it as well, as Stayman-London'd protagonist, Bea Schumacher, is picked to star in the show Main Squeeze.  Bea is a fashion blogger who already has tons of followers, but she doesn't have a man, and is pining away for her friend, Ray, who she has secretly been in love with for years.  Bea is a plus-size, full-figured woman, and the body diversity she brings to Main Squeeze challenges everyone's perceptions of beauty.  

The Boys Club by Erica Katz- when I first heard about this book, I thought it was going to be a legal thriller. While this does take place in a prestigious BigLaw firm in NYC, the story is more #metoo than actually dealing with any cases.  Alex Vogel has always been an overachiever - a good girl who follows the rules.  She starts her legal career with a prestigious law firm, Klasko and Fitch where she becomes easily influenced by the money and power of her new job.  Her sweet boyfriend is quickly neglected and Alex finds herself making all kinds of bad choices. Despite not finding Alex likable at times, I did appreciate that she redeems herself by book's end.  

These were absolutely absorbing stories and I had a hard time setting them aside to be productive.  However, we did make some progress in our home renovation projects and managed to get a cast iron woodburning stove out of our basement as well as a few other big items eliminated as well. It feels so good to get rid of junk that has been cluttering up our house for years.



No comments: